Sunday, January 9, 2011

Santa Barbara By-The Sea

      One of our favorite places in California aside from Carmel,is Santa Barbara,Ca....I don't know why exactly but it is...Jim and I always wished we could live there..When Jim and I were discussing opening a restaurant,somehow Santa Barbara came to mind...So,I drove up and stayed several days,looking at listings of existing restaurants with a Broker..One place we looked at was at Isla Vista,the college town..It was a big Spanish building,as is a lot of Santa Brabara..There was a large kitchen,perfect-sized dining room,and a very large patio fronting the main road..We ended up buying this business,and then shut it down for remodeling..
    We acquired a liquor license by buying a existing license,a common practice..It was quite pricey at $97,000.00 for a piece of paper,but it was a part of our business plan..Remodeling completed and we re-opened right at the start of the new school year...Business started out with a bang! The menu I had created was a local hit..We had so many requests that we ended opening up for breakfast,as well..One reason of our popularity was that I placed as ad for local bands to play on our patio on weekend nights,that packed the place,and the entertainment didn't cost me more than feeding and watering the different bands..
    To illustrate how busy we were,we ran out or refrigeration space with our walk-in and walk-in freezer were at capacity..We could not add on to the building as the required parking lot was behind our building..One morning,the solution just came to me as I was driving in to work..I saw a old Divco milk truck for sale on the street..After making sure it's refrigeration was in good shape,bought the truck,parked it behind our business,had a electrician install a 220V outlet on the outside wall, and plugged our huge new refrigerator in..That solved all of our problems..
     Jim remained working at his job in L.A. with the idea being that once I got everything up and running well, he would join me full time..As it were,he drove up Fri. night after work,and drove home Sun. afternoons..It had been about a year,and it was time for restaurant number two...We started looking at places,and found one we liked in Goleta,Ca...It already had a liquor license included with the sale...We bought it,and closed it down for redecorating..You can imagine how busy I was with both places,but I had a employee that I promoted to assistant manager and he helped run Isla Vista for me..
   I retrained the existing staff at the Goleta restaurant,fired and hired a few more,changed chef's and implemented a new menu...We did a soft (unadvertised) opening,and allowed the business to grow by word of mouth..Business grew and things settled down to be quite profitable..Then,we decided that we wanted a dinner house..You know, a Chop House,with piano player,dark,romantic...There was just such a restaurant up for sale on upper State Street in Santa Barbara,near San Roque..Same as the last two,business was better than projected..
           I told Jim then, that I wanted to buy a cocktail lounge,something quiet,elegant,classy,live entertainment kind of place..That I wanted to open it as a Gay bar..Now,even though Santa Barbara is small, there were just two Gay bars in town..Plenty of room for a third,thinks I....So,we found a space in a three story building located at the foot of State Street,by the railroad station...It was an existing bar that had always been quasi-Gay,sorta..Our Broker actually found it..They Seller was asking $149,000 for it,and it was only a beer & wine dive...I made a offer of $65,000....Our Broker refused to present such a low-ball offer,and yes, I know that could have cost him his license..I discharged him on the spot,no discussion,and went to another Real Estate agency had had one of their Brokers offer it...It was accepted,and now I had my bar..One decision that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth,by far..
  With the new bar,we knew that we needed more management...So, I ran ads and began interviewing..The guy I hired as general manager for Isla Vista had great references,but one day I entered the office and there he was,doing Coke,and I don't mean Coca-Cola..Of course,I had to fire him, I had no choice,and stopped everything to run Isla Vista while I looked for a new manager..My guy I had the was previously running Isla Vista,I had promoted to general manager of our Goleta restaurant,and he was doing great there..
     One guy that answered my ad for a manager had lots of experience,solid references,and he professed to being a "Born-Again Christian"....Up until then, I took people at face value..If they said they were a "Christian" I assumed that lying,cheating,stealing behavior was not in play..I learned differently soon enough..So, I hired Mr, "Born-Again Christian",getting him working well with my business,and frankly since I was stretched so thin,myself,I made the mistake of trusting him and not checking on him closely..
       I got a late night call from our accountant telling me that he did not get the time cards from Isla Vista and he was running payroll shortly..Isla Vista was closed at 10:00 P.M. that time of the year,so imagine my surprise that night at 11:15 P.M. to see the restaurant open,and some scattered guests on the patio,eating..
     I wasn't angry, but I was really confused..I walked into the dining room and was greeted by a woman who I knew didn't work for me..She handed me a menu that wasn't mine,and attempted to seat me..Taking the menu with me,I was Irish-ANGRY as I stormed into the kitchen..there were people in there that I didn't know, as well..Taking my key,I opened the managers office and crashed the door open as I entered the room..There sat my manager,looked scared and shocked..I demanded what the HELL was going on..He explained that he shut down my business at its usual time, and then re-opened it with the help of his fellow church members,to make money for their church...Using MY utilities! Using MY food and beverage! I honestly think that is as angry as I have ever have been or ever will be..Like a great roaring beast,I threw every last thieving "Born-Again Christian" out of my place of business..They even had Jebus-music playing over my sound system..It took me almost two hours to shut all of the equipment,and clean and to completely close..Oh, and 10 or so days later I get a letter from the State saying that my "Born-Again Christian" manager was now trying to collect unemployment pay from me...Like bloody Hell!! I called my attorney and took him to lunch..When I told him everything,even he was stumped as to a plan of action...Until I told him what I was going to do..Then..he couldn't stop laughing..As will you..I made a appointment with the State employment woman that sent me the letter,and we met...I told her that Mr. "Born-Again Christian" wasn't eligible to receive unemployment benefits..Because I had a job opening for him managing my new bar..That I would not only train him for his new management job,but I would be paying him more...The woman was impressed that I would be so helpful,and since there was a ready job available for Mr."Born-Again Christian",he was unable to collect a thin dime of benefits..Of course,I was banking on the seemingly natural HATRED "Born-Again Christians" have for Gays who have done nothing to them..I knew that he would never work in a Gay bar....And,he didn't...BTW...Jim was shocked when I told him everything..Jim said:" But Ken,what if he had accepted?"..I told Jim I was prepared to be the most LOUDLY cussing,bottle smashing against the wall, bar stool throwing boss Mr. "Born-Again Christian" had ever met..Jim:" Knowing you, I believe it..HAHA! Santa Barbara grows dark in part two..

No comments:

Post a Comment